COFA Annual 2012

Nice To Meet You
  • The Bag, 2012

• Color To Black & White, 2011

• The Painting Box,2011

• Dna #1

• Dna #2

• Dna #3

• The Homeless

• Stack Of Paintings

• Nice To Meet You

Nathan May

Bachelor of Fine Arts

Next Student
Previous Student

Nice to meet you

the main theme behind this work is exploring how people change themselves, both physically or emotionally to fit into particular groups or get recognized. this work also expl ores the notion of beautification, and how people find themselves performing in everyday society, and in a way camouflage or hide their true personality. The main focus i aimed for in this work is to emphasize individuality and that no matter how much we consort to these everyday stereotypes or abide by the people we want to become, we all have unique traits, which make us who we are. To convey this theme i concentrated on mounting my life size figures into a puddle, which not only relates to expanded painting, but also gives the meaning of individualism, where these figures might be sinking into the puddle or coming out. i also aimed to use materials relevant to my subject giving the work a raw, grungy feel, and immersing my audience with both the size and actions of these figures. To give the work more meaning i tried also to capture the movement of people, making them perform normal routines, such as looking at a phone, or even talking amongst each other, and so encouraging audience interaction. When looking at the figures, it leaves on guessing what exactly is it? could the green mannequin be a representation of a shell? the outer layer of our personality? And the clear mannequin, could that be a metaphor for the human body acting like a canvas? alike artists we create the image we want to see ourselves in...........

Read my resume

Contact & More Info